Enterprise IT is badly broken in most of it’s current incarnations. This is due to a wide range of influences – organizational, political and technical. I think there are ways to increase productivity and reduce cost and risk by changing enterprise IT practices towards:
- A collaborative business and IT culture that owns and manages risk rather than just outsource and lose control.
- An Enterprise IT strategy and Architecture that provides “cohesion” so that smaller, agile projects can deliver strategic value.
- Using (and developing in-house) development frameworks that enhance productivity by:
- encouraging in-house standards and best practices,
- operating at a high level of abstraction – business processes, services, events, rules
- foster developer skills beyond “commodity” levels.